CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ron's Birthday!

It was Ron's big day last week! What fun we had celebrating with him!

One of things I married into, was the making of the honorable Turner Family Birthday Red Velvet Cake. If you were anything like me....I said, "what's a red velvet cake?" I swear all I remember was his entire family standing there with their mouths wide open, in complete shock, staring at me because I didn't know what a red velvet cake was! (I also had a few more of these experiences with his family....like when they discovered I didn't know what a Dairy Queen Dilly Bar was, I didn't know what a K-Mart Blue Light Special was, and when they discovered I put ketchup on my tacos! Yeah, I didn't blend in well with his family.) Well, each year I try to make this stinkin' cake for his birthday and it just doesn't come out right. Personally, I think Grandmas, "Oh so wonderful" cake tastes like play dough! (Ya, you heard me right Turners. I am sure there are mouths wide open right now.) A few years ago, I discovered Duncan Hines makes a Red Velvet cake mix! Wow, was I ever excited! No more playdough cake for my family!
Unfortunately, I found out that, the cake mix just wasn't what Grandma made. So, back to square one I went. So after much study and probably a little luck...waa-laa, this is what a created and "I'm just saying" it is the best one I've ever made. Best meaning it had a nice shape, color, texture and the icing wasn't sliding off. (PS I still think it tastes like playdough. Possibly, if I add a little ketchup to the cake, it may taste better. Oh pick your jaws up off the floor.) LOL.







The fire was so hot, it began to melt the icing.




This is one of the gifts he recieved. The story of Hewlett Packard (HP).

9 comments:

Krista and Jeff said...

Hey...just an FYI...I was at Costco yesterday and at least here in Utah they are starting to carry a red velvet cake...I didn't taste it but my kids loved (an understatement) it. You'll have to look for it at your store...it looked good!

Krista and Jeff said...

oh and Happy Birthday Ron! Danielle's cake will melt soon too ;)

LCM said...

I might have to help you find a good recipe. Maddy tried one at the Stake Picnic and since it combines two of her favorite things, cake and red, she might be requesting it for her birthday.
That's a good smile on Ron's face for the book. If Dave got a book about Allstate for his birthday, he might just cry.

Christine said...

Happy Birthday, Ron. Danielle - I had to laugh at your comments about red velvet cake. We had red velvet cheesecake at potluck this afternoon.... it tasted like play dough. Neither John nor I could come up with a word for the flavor but you nailed it - play dough!!!

Carin said...

Danielle---I loved this post!! Mostly because we all have those things where we don't quite fit in with how the other family functions. Your red-velvet cake looks awesome!!! Good job, and way to keep trying!! And it is fabulous that you are comfortable enough with Ron's family to say it like it is :-) What a great post!!

Bobbi said...

Danielle, the cake looks perfect! Nice job. You're fitting in just fine.

Gary or Carol said...

Danielle, That icing looks great!!!How did you get it so thick? Now I am not a Turner, but Red Velvet Cake is much easier to understand than catsup on tacos. :) Mouth open.
Gary

Gary or Carol said...

Danielle, what I want to know is how do you know what playdough tastes like?
Carol

PS; It looks fabulous!

Jenna said...

I am laughing so hard right now!! I consider myself a decent enough cook, but holy cow, I can never get that red velvet cake right. Tried the Duncan Hines, but no one bought it..... The frosting about kills me every too. It is never the right consistency!! So, from me to you, congrats on your success!