Last Sunday he flew into Chicago and then over night to Beijing, China. The total trip was around 16 hours. He sent me a picture on my cell phone of his knees up against the seat. The caption was,"13 hours of knees jammed into seat." Can't say I was envying him at all at that point in time. But, as soon as he began sending me photos of his adventure, that's when the envying began! We have been MSN chatting each morning to keep up with life. He is 13 hours ahead of Texas. While in Mainland China, he can't access blogs, facebook, twitter or youtube...welcome to Communism, eh?!

Note the direction the plane flew. I thought this was interesting.
As soon as he stepped out of the airport and needed to hail a taxi, his talent of speaking the Chinese language began immediately. He said he was a little rusty, but by using his "Chinglish" he got to where he needed to go.
He said the HP china employees were very kind. They gave him tips on where to go, what to see, where to shop, etc. They took him shopping at the Silk Market and out to eat some very good Chinese food. They thought it was nice that the American, spoke Chinese and told him he spoke well. I'm not surprised. I have been told that by Chinese people before..."Ahhhh, your husband, speak vewy good Chinese!"
Next, he flew to Dalian and stayed there for a couple of days and then back to Beijing. Yesterday he went to the Great Wall. Those pictures are beautiful. Hopefully, some day I will get to go back with him to China. On Sunday, he will fly to Shanghai, then Tuesday he flies to Taiwan. I am excited for him to go to work in Taiwan. The last time he was in Taiwan he was a missionary for the LDS church. I just think it is so neat for him to be able to go back again.
Below are the pics he sent, you may find them dull. But, to me all of this interesting.
Beijing views from his hotel, The Ascott.
His hotel room, was really not a hotel room. He was surprised to find it like an apartment. He had two bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, laundry and a kitchen. I told him, if I would have known there was so much room, I would have packed the whole family to join him!
The Disney knock off coloring books they gave in the hotel room.
I asked Ron if that was fog. He said, possibly a little, but also pollution. Ugh.
This Wal-mart was in a 12-15 story "shopping" building. I think Ron sent this picture and the next one, to try to show me that visiting China wasn't so bad and I could handle it just fine. (haha!)
He left Beijing and flew 90 minutes to Dalian. It is located on the Pacific Ocean. He enjoyed this city. He said the food was excellent, mainly seafood. For lunch he ate sea cucumber, mushroom soup, whole fish and a big oyster. Then, for dinner raw salmon, raw shellfish of some sort, cooked shellfish, more oysters, yellow fish, whole shrimp, fried something seafood, and various other dishes. He then told me, "I can't wait to eat a home cooked meal in a week."
Views from his hotel.
At the ocean.
Ron with HP employees, on tour.
The cubicles at HP Beijing. Note the low walls. There isn't much privacy.
When he got back to Beijing, he stayed at the five star, China World hotel. (Note link) It is a beautiful hotel. Check it out!
Yesterday, he took a tour of the Ming Tombs, Longdi Jade Factory, the Forbidden city, Tian an men square and the Great Wall. (Jealous sigh here...)
2 comments:
AHHHHHHHSOME!
I was just thinking about you today... wondering how you were surviving. :) One more week... you can do it!! :)
Post a Comment