CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 13, 2008

Two day drive, throw up and almost an accident with a semi truck!

I bet I got your attention with that title huh?!

The first day out Brianne of course got car sick. How lovely. Carol, I bet you wish you could have been there to catch it. ;O) We fixed the "car sick" problem the next day by making all of the kids take motion sickness meds. Thanks goodness for applesauce and Dramamine.

As we entered the San Antonio area, traffic came to a quick halt. We had to slam on our brakes not to run into the stopped car in front of us. As Ron and I (out of habit) checked rear and side mirrors, we both saw a semi truck coming straight at us from the rear and it wasn't stopping. With Ron's quick thinking he swung into another lane and the semi went off onto the shoulder. It was such a close call. I still remember thinking the truck was going to hit us, I was just waiting for impact. When it didn't hit us, I was so relieved and felt truly blessed.



As we continued on, it was getting dark. I-8 was deserted. I am not sure if it was because of the high gas prices or it just being I-8, but we were the only vehicle on the road for miles. It was odd. As we traveled we dodged semi tire blow outs, and watched deer and jack rabbits on the shoulder of the road. The headlights would light them and we'd just hold our breath hoping they'd stay on the shoulder. Ron didn't want anymore deer accidents. One is enough for his lifetime.

We enjoyed stopping a National Parks along the way. The first park we stopped at was in Texas. It was the Guadalupe Mountains NP. There wasn't a lot to see. Except for a few mountain and one tall peak. It was 8,749 ft. It is the tallest peak in Texas. Having been born in Salt Lake City in the Rocky Mountains, I for one wasn't too impressed. :0O I must not be a real Texan. I am sure I'd be hung for this latter comment.



We stopped at Tombstone, Arizona for Ron to explore the town. Us girls were not too excited, but we did enjoy the shopping.

2 comments:

LCM said...

Did the Dramamine also make them sleepy? Heehee, I have heard that it has the same effect as benadryl that way. We have noticed that sometimes the girls get nauseous in the back row watching the TV. Zip loc bags are helpful as barf bags...easy to keep in the car, one of those chemo tips I have collected. Easy to toss too, ew!

Gary or Carol said...

Dang, we missed all the fun...barf and our life passing before our eyes, and then the OK Corral.