
This morning when Caitlin came downstairs she asked me how many days until Thanksgiving. I told her I wasn't sure and that I'd check. Low and behold...it's two weeks away. I knew it was coming up fast but it didn't really hit home until I checked the calendar! I began going through my mind the entire list of things I needed to purchase for our huge feast. My mouth did begin to water for Ron's stuffing (Gary's Mom's recipe). I began to wonder...what will be in Ron's surprise stuffing and pumpkin pie this year?! It is such a fun game that I and the girls look forward to each year! Ron will make one batch of traditional stuffing and a pumpkin pie, then he will concoct some "other" stuffing and pumpkin pie and we get to taste test it and guess what the secret ingredients are! When we moved away from our families 12 years ago, and we were all by our lonesome in far away Texas, we desired to begin our own family traditions for the holidays to make memories for the girls. It was the best thing we ever did. I am happy to say our little family has many fun traditions that make our holidays special. So, honey get that stuffing and pie recipe ready.
I have to admit that there is a little tiny part of me that wishes we could just bypass Thanksgiving and start decorating for Christmas. Possibly, I feel this way because two weeks ago Wal-mart set up for Christmas with 12 ft trees in their foyers and cinnamon pine cones wafting delightful scents through the aisles. This really got me in the holiday mood. I love the feeling in my home that exists when the home is decked out in twinkling lights, pine and red ribbon. From a child's perspective, it is magical! Then a humbling thought came to my mind...it was a quote from President Monson. "Each one of you is living a life filled with much to do. I plead with you not to let the important things in life pass you by, planning instead for that illusive and non-existent future day when you'll have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey --NOW!" (Women's Conference, May 2008) Find joy in the journey now...okay, so my focus has now been shifted back to Thanksgiving. There are so many things to be thankful for...
Here's my list:
Family, good health, Ron's job, a home, reliable vehicles, good schools for my children, brave strong daughters who are willing to try anything--from roller coasters, to sports tryouts, to student council elections, they are always willing to try something new...even if it means stepping out of their comfort zone. Freedom in the USA, religion, friends, my two year old is almost completely potty trained, and last but not least...celebrating 15 years of marriage next month...my oh my, I have a lot to be grateful for. I am sure if I sat her long enough, more things would come to my mind, this list is just the tip of the iceberg.
So for those of you who have fallen into the skip Thanksgiving trap and are already decorating for the Holidays, stop and smell the roses...find joy in your journey NOW.
Side note: (by the way, as soon as I put the thanksgiving leftovers in the fridge...I am heading to the attic to pull out the 2o Christmas boxes and I will have my tree up and decorated by midnight!) :O)
2 comments:
Stop it! I can't stand it! ;) If there was any reason to yearn to be at home it would be the holidays. Wish we could be there. You guys really know how to celebrate.
Carol
Hey, I am with you on the Christmas joy. I don't bypass Thanksgiving, though, because it's the pie holiday. Any excuse to have pie and I am there.
Post a Comment