
Seems strange that the first 6 or 7 years we lived in Texas all of the hurricanes that came barreling across the Atlantic made landfall on the east coast. But, these past few years they have been drawn up into the Gulf, due to the warmer waters.
Houston is preparing for the storm. The coastal communities are in the process of being evacuated. Therefore there is a huge influx of people up here in the northern communities of Houston. We will not be evacuating this time. We will be sheltering in place. We have food, water and fuel. So, we are ready for whatever this storm brings.
This morning I sat at the Wal-mart gas station waiting in line for 15 minutes. I went into Wal-mart afterwards and got the last few bags of ice, last few bags of bread. It is so eerie looking at the grocery store shelves...BARE. My heart went out to the sweet little old people of our city who were just driving into the parking lot as I was leaving...I knew when they went in they were not going to find much left.
My Dad just called me from Costco. He said the check out lines began at the back of the store near the meat department. It is just crazy here!
The school just called and said Victoria's volleyball game is cancelled tonight and all schools are closed tomorrow.
I found this at a local tv internet site, they gave a break down of what each area around Houston can expect from the hurricane. It said this about my area...
http://weatherblog.abc13.com/2008/09/hurricane-ike-1.html
"Liberty, Cleveland, Livingston, Huntsville, Conroe, Spring, the Woodlands, Katy, Sealy, Hempstead, Navasota, Wharton, El Campo: Sustained winds 75-100 mph, 5-10" rain with flooding in poor drainage areas, isolated tornadoes."
I am glad we live far enough inland that we won't get the brunt of the storm.
Here is another great website for tracking the storm:
http://www.stormpulse.com/
Well, if we have power I will post again after the storm or soon after.
No comments:
Post a Comment